Communications Intern: Position Requirements
Alexandria Pet Care, Inc. seeks a Communications Intern from June to December 2019, who wants a real learning experience!
If you love pets, work well independently, are a stickler for Strunk & White, know the 80/20 rule of social media, and simply love to write, or write about pets, then come on and apply.
With us you’ll learn to plan, structure and produce a wide variety of communications, marcomm, and social media projects in a locally-owned small business. You’ll have weekly meetings with the business owner for planning, guidance, and editorial direction, then have freedom to research, draft material, and work independently on your own.
- #lovespets: research and read about adorable pets, helpful products, owner education, pet care, and cute pet photos
- #internalinsights: distill what employees need to know in a way they’ll want to read internal comms and intranet blurbs
- #contenttamer: review, edit and organize internal policies and procedures documentation
- #socialscene: use Hootsuite to plan and schedule daily posts to Intsta, Pinterest, Fb, and Twitter
- #blogboss: keep our website compelling and useful to our community with a monthly blog post
- #knowyouraudiences: use Trello to craft annual communications calendars for our external client mix and our internal teams
- #raisevisibility: reach pet owners in our community who don’t know us but who need us
- #truetothebrand: understand our mission as our message and weave it through all our internal and external comms
Candidates may be a rising junior, senior, or graduate student enrolled in an accredited nonprofit college or university to study communications, marketing, journalism or PR. We also welcome non-traditional interns with previous work experience who are seeking to re-enter the workforce or looking to change careers. Unpaid internship. $200 stipend per month to cover costs and transportation. Must reside in the D.C. metro area, and be available 10 hours a week from May through December.
Applicants should complete all these steps, by email to [email protected] Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Email us your resume
- Attach your cover letter explaining how you meet the above requirements and why you’re a great candidate for our team
- Attach at least 3 writing samples: two or more should be targeted audience communications in the format of a blog, social post, email, news announcement, or article. One may be a script or video short/vlog
- Attach 3 original proposed social media posts for our company. Simple text with an image is fine
- Additionally encouraged, but not required, is your URL to your portfolio website